Garage door issues are pretty common. But for your own safety and the security of your home, family, and assets, it’s important to contact a professional for garage door repair services right away. It truly is a blessing that today we have the option of same-day repairs. However, without realizing it, you might fall for a garage door scam.
So, did you come across a garage door deal that seems too good to be true? That’s because it is! For the seemingly low price, you will end up paying the price in terms of poor quality work. In the end, you will pay for an inefficient job, leading you to pay more to fix the issue. But how to avoid garage door repair scams?
In this blog, we will mention the different types of garage door repair scams and how to avoid them. Continue reading to steer clear of scamming troubles!
Signs You Might Be in For a Garage Door Scam
To avoid a garage door scam, you must be aware of the signs of it happening. Here are a few tips for detecting a garage door scam:
- The company’s name will be different among the website, advertisements, and phone greetings.
- The explanation for the inconsistent business names would be that they have recently acquired another company.
- They hesitate to share information regarding the company, themselves, and the services.
- The location is quite far from where you live.
- There is no company logo on the technician’s van and uniform.
- The price they are offering is remarkably lower or higher than the average price in your area.
- They’ll provide a total cost of repair without inspecting or even seeing your garage door.
- The business will ask for an upfront payment.
- You will be asked to pay the amount in cash.
Types of Garage Door Repair Scams
There are three common types of garage door repair scams, including:
1. Lifetime Guarantee
In this garage door repair scam, the technician installs a part that they claim has a lifetime guarantee. In truth, though, the part is low-quality and will break down sooner than expected. And when you consult them for the repair again, they will replace the part for free — but you will have to pay labor costs. In this manner, you will be stuck in a loop of garage door scam repairs.
2. Rebuild Package
Also known as hardware overhaul, the rebuild package scam will involve the technician inspecting your garage door. Then, they will inform you that every part needs replacement when, in reality, only a simple repair is required. In addition, the scammer might add the costs of parts to the installation. As a result, you will end up paying more than you have to.
3. Unidentified Technician
Sometimes, scammers use the trick where they claim to send their in-house team for repair. However, they’ll send an independent contractor they subcontracted. The said contractor will have no license, insurance, or experience. And what’s worse is that you will not be able to contact the technician if a problem occurs with the garage door.
Tips on How to Avoid Garage Door Scams
Now that you are aware of and can identify the different garage door repair scams, here are some tips to avoid them altogether:
- Do your research! Read reviews, browse their social media, and confirm their address and phone numbers to get your information on the company. Moreover, look for accreditations and associations.
- Inquire about the company regarding their business and services.
- Learn about garage door parts and functions to be aware if the technician is being honest about the problem.
- Have your repair estimate in writing, just in case.
- Listen to their name when you’re on a call with them – does it match the name on other places, such as their website?
- Always take more than one quote and contact different companies to get a price.
In conclusion, there are many ways you can fall for garage door repair scams — make sure to stay cautious! If you are looking for a credible garage door repair service in Cypress, TX, we have got you covered. Our effective and professional methods will have your garage door functioning in no time. So, what are you waiting for? Dial (832) 349-2189 to contact Cypress Garage Door & Gates now! Or visit us at 23550 Highway 290, Unit # 3, Cypress, TX 77429.